Cisco Unified Wireless Network is a set of interconnected elements that work together to deliver a unified enterprise-class wireless solution, including:
- network manageability,
- control wireless network, users and their traffic.
Devices in Cisco Unified Wireless Network:
- Access Points (Cisco Aironet 3500e)
- Network Controllers (Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controller)
- Mobility Services Controllers (Cisco 3310 Mobility Services Engine)
- Software (Cisco Wireless Control System)
Cisco CleanAir technology integrates spectrum analysis into wireless access points to provide real-time always-on visibility into external non-WIFI sources of interference. Addictional chipset (SAgE - spectrum analysis engine) is used in-parallel with the WiFi chipset. SAgE is responsible for measuring, identyfying and classifying sources of non-WiFi interferences, such as phones, microwave ovens, while all WiFi signal is passed to WiFi chipset, if the incoming energy is recognized as this type of signal (specifically the WiFi preamble).
Air quality index (AQI) is an inverse measure of how much interference is in the environment. Air quality is at 100% when no interference is present, and is reduced based on energy strength and duty cycle (airtime occupied) by interference sources. Each CleanAir device report AQI value, so channel on which AccessPoint works could be quickly changed if necessary. Integration of Access Points and Wireless Controller leads to providing advanced and robust network with automatic channel management.
Every interference source is marked with Pseudo - MAC. Information about interferences, that come from different access points are merged in wireless controller, and correctly presented in Wireless Control System Software.
Access Point may work in two modes:
* Local Mode AP (LMAP) – serving clients on it's assigned channel and monitoring the Spectrum on that Channel only,
* Monitor Mode AP (MMAP) – do not serve clients, provides full time scanning on all channels.
Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controller
- Interference Detection and Classification
- AirQuality Reports management
- Access Point operating channel management
- Is able to force wireless clients to change associated AP and change AP's signal power, usefull especially when there is too many clients associated to one AP, e.g. conference room
- Rapid Update Mode) and Event-Driven Radio Resource Management
- Security policies management
Access Point Cisco Aironet 3500e
- 802.11n performance is nine times the throughput of existing 802.11g networks
- Cisco CleanAir Technology
- 802.3af Power over Ethernet
- External antenna connectors
- Intrusion Dectection and Analysis in Wireless Intrusion Prevention System
- Zarządzanie kontami użytkowników - Cisco NAC Guest Server 3315
Cisco Wireless Controll System - Software
- comprehensive management platform
- Monitoring network, users, interferences, wifi coverage
- Managing devices and security policies
- Network planning
- WiFi troubleshooting