The history of the Department of Computer Science is inextricably linked with the history of the university. The Academy of Mining was established in 1919, in Krakow. On the 20th of October, 1919, Józef Piłsudski, the Head of the State, inaugurated the Academy of Mining in the hall of the Jagiellonian University. In 1949, the authorities renamed the Academy and henceforth it has been referred to as the ‘Academy of Mining and Metallurgy’.
After the Second World War, decisions were made to extend the scope of activities of the Academy. In 1946, the Faculty of Electrical Mechanics was established. In 1952, however, it was divided into two separate faculties, namely, Electrification of Mining and Metallurgy and Mechanization of Mining and Metallurgy. Over the years various modifications have been made to the name of the faculty, reflecting research and diversity of study programs that were being offered at the time. Consequently, in 1957 the Department adopted a new name - Electrical Engineering of Mining and Metallurgy, in 1975 - the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Automatics and Electronics and in 1998 - the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Automatics, Computer Science and Electronics. In 2012, the current name was adopted, namely, the Faculty of Computer Science, Electronics and Telecommunications.
Department of Computer Science at the Faculty of Computer Science, Electronics and Telecommunications is an educational and scientific unit which provides education in Computer Science as well as conducts research in advanced computer technologies since 1 October, 1980. For over 29 years of the Institute of Computer Science existence, number of employees increased steadily from 31 people in 1980 to over 90 in 2012. Currently, Department of Computer Science AGH occupies a total area of 7250 m2 in Pavilion D-17 AGH with 15 the most up to date laboratory facilities (such as virtual reality, computer graphics, multimedia systems, computer systems, mobile systems laboratories). Throughout the years, AGH Department of Computer Science has educated over 2,500 engineers and masters in Computer Science becoming the main unit that provides highly qualified IT personnel in Małopolska voivodship.
In 2007, Marshal's Office expressed its appreciation for the Department of Computer Science’ contribution to the development of IT industry in Małopolska Voivodship and, therefore, decided to finance the construction of "AGH Computer Science Centre. In January 2010 an agreement was signed for the project with Consortium Mostostal Warszawa SA - Worbis SA. The building serves as both teaching and research facility. It houses classrooms, laboratories, staff rooms and technical rooms. Two amphitheatric lecture halls accommodate up to 250 and 150 students respectively while a versatile conference room is able to house a total of 200 people. Teaching rooms, occupying the total area of 7250 meters square, boast some of the most modern technical facilities. Endowed with specialized equipment, the building provides excellent conditions for organizing an appropriate learning environment for the increasing number of students. On July 14, foundation stone was laid at a ceremony to mark the founding of the new building. The Centre was completed at the end of 2011. It serves as a headquarter for the Department of Computer Science since February, 2012.