AGH Copernicus

AGH Copernicus

Copernicus is a tool that can be used used during IoT classes. It enables possibility to conduct several scenario driven classes focused on the software side of IoT. From our experience, in typical IoT projects 70% of time is consumed on dealing with hardware peripherals connected to the controller board of the device. During the remaining 30% of time, its significant amount is spent on software controlling hardware, while the application logic is oversimplified.

Current IoT systems are complex, logic is moved from the cloud to fog enabling necessity for the devices to interact between themselves. It is hardly possible to design and implement such interactions in the remaining 30% of time, especially during student classes. Because of that we have defined following list of functional requirements for the Copernicus board:

  • dealing with hardware during the classes should be minimized in time but the device capabilities should not be primitive
  • AGH Copernicus should be Arduino compatible board enabling possibility to conduct scenario driven IoT classes
  • all the hardware parts of the Copernicus board should be ready to use at the beginning of the lab (e.g. it should be possible to define min and max servo position)
  • it should be quite simple to use the peripherals from virtually any programming language available on the Intel Galileo



Copyright © 2010 Department of Computer Science   |   AGH University of Science and Technology   |   Created by Creative Bastards